Friday, July 5, 2013

Be Different, Be Yourself.

Hey there, world. Been a while since I posted anything. I feel ready to break my silence, even though "sometimes silence makes a sound".
Silence may be golden, but I really felt like I needed to write down my thoughts, since, sometimes, it's the only way I can express myself.
My life has been a mess lately and there's only one thing that keeps me from breaking down; being happy about who I am. I bet that sounds weird, but it's not.
All these months, I didn't stop writing as much as I used to. But I felt like all the things that I was writing about were not something I want to share. I get a feeling when I know that I have to post something while I write it, but I haven't felt like this in months. Not until now that I just felt like I wanted to share some of my thoughts.
You see, some times, you have to get to lowest point to really understand what matters. To fully realize what keeps us standing. What keeps us from breaking down, from going crazy.
It's 4 am and I am standing here, writing, so technically I am a tiny bit crazy, but you know what I mean.

Two years ago, I was a totally different person. I couldn't realize that people could be different from me. I used to think that anyone that was different was crazy or abnormal. I used to see things in a totally different and sort of "tunnel vision" way. I didn't realize many things.
But people change and I hope mostly for the better. Because since I don't believe in any religion or any god, I think believing in people is vital for me.
I remember that I used to believe atheists and gay people should be crucified. I remember feeling hate so vigorously that I still laugh at my own self. I thought "being different" meant "being wrong" not "being yourself".
Now, two years later, I am an atheist and a huge supporter of Frank Ocean, an openly bisexual artist. I learnt that I can appreciate and support things without having to be what I support.
I support being different, being honest. I support things I am not. I support pursuing dreams. I support making something from nothing. I support being creative. And I don't need to label it as something as long as I feel it is honest. My point is : I don't need to like football to support someone doing everything in his power to become a football player.
But people don't get that. People can't think outside the box. People are not inspired by something "different". People would rather hate a gay artist without any real reason and miss out on the great art he is creating. But these people won't really live until they open their minds.
In the end we're all the same, no matter how different we are; we're all human, we all make mistakes, we all love and want to be loved, we all need things, we all believe in something. Why hate anyone that's different, when you really are more alike than different? Why disdain someone for being something you're not? It doesn't make sense to me. But then again, it once did.
All these months I realized that the only thing that helped me stand on my own two feet and continue was this; being myself, supporting people that are different and not letting hate poison me. If there's one thing I am happy about is the way I am and the way I see things. I see everything crystal-clear. I see the world as it is.
To me, if someone kills a man, it's not wrong because he is black or Asian; it's wrong because it's an act of hate.
I realized that this motivated me. I motivated myself. Frank Ocean motivated me by risking his career just to be honest and different, not caring what others might think. In the homophobic world of Hip Hop and RnB, that was a first. But it was an act of freedom that inspires me to this day and will inspire me for the rest of my life.
Thanks to some people that are pushing the boundaries every day, others live more easily. More free. More different.

I think "being free" or "different" is mostly a thing that can be expressed through art. Artists are the most free human beings. I hope I can be a great artists one day. A great writer. But the only thing that will get me there is being honest, being free, being me. Because the people I admire the most, fought against all odds to get where they're at. I hope to be like that one day; to make my dreams come true by being who I am, even if it means going against all odds. I hope to be an inspiration to people as some people are to me. 
Now, I can finally understand that, sometimes, the world is not "wrong". Our perspective is wrong. The way we look at things. 
I hope you enjoyed reading this and I hope you understood my points.

 Thank you for reading. But mostly, thank you for being yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment